Textured Echoes

I whisper words of long lost loves
and could-have-beens and never-was
and remind myself of times there were
when She was alive and I was her.

"Oh woe is me, stuck in a tree, away from thee, my tripadee"

When I received messages, letters and texts
and my wandering loins could assent or object.
When make up would sweat-run and clothing I'd doff.
Dancing and dancing in basements and lofts.

"I'm very, very, very, very close to loving you. All I need is your permission."

Wandering willful unburdened and faithless.
Thinner and fitter and sharper and shameless.
Giving false names and numbers to all the unchosen
and hickies and mono to the favoured unspoken.

"You could  never be a dog to me. Not something to be possessed but something wild that makes you grateful for the time you give me."

And though old echoes lift the curve when recalled to banish glum me,
None resonate with half the verve of
"I love you so much, Mummy".

No comments:

Post a Comment